Chicken Biscuits 'n' Gravy Casserole
adapted from 'Every Day with Rachael Ray' April-May 2006
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
2 large or 3 small boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 tablespoons olive oil
7 tablespoons butter
8 ounces mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 medium onion, finely chopped
4 medium carrots, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon lemon juice
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 cups baking mix, such as Bisquick
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 425. Grease a large casserole dish.
- Cube the chicken into small chunks. Season with salt and pepper and brown in a large saucepan with olive oil. When cooked through, spread in the bottom of the casserole dish.
- In same skillet, melt 3 tablespoons of the butter over medium high heat. Add the onions and carrots, cook for 3-4 minutes. Add the mushrooms and continue to cook and stir for 4-5 minutes.
- Lower the heat to medium, sprinkle the flour into the skillet and cook, stirring for 1 minute. Stir in the chicken broth, bring to a simmer and cook , stirring, until thickened, about 2 minutes. Stir in 1/3 cup of the milk and simmer for 1 minute more.
- Remove the skillet from the heat, add the lemon juice, and season to taste. Pour the vegetables and gravy over the chicken in the baking dish.
- Melt the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter with the garlic.
- Stir together the baking mix, the remaining 2/3 cup of milk and the cheese. Drop tablespoonfuls of the biscuit mixture on top of the casserole and brush with half of the garlic butter.
- Bake until the biscuits are golden brown, about 25 minutes, brushing them once or twice with the remaining garlic butter.