I found this Tortilla Soup with Black Beans recipe in an old copy of Everyday Food. My mom, aunts and grandma each subscribe to a magazine, then they pass around the copies of the magazines to each other. By the time this January 2009 issue got to my mom it was Christmas 2009. I swiped it from my parents house while we visiting over the holidays. I knew it would get more use with me than at my mom's. I love my mom and her cooking, but she doesn't regularly try new recipes, so I knew I'd find at least a few things for Zach and I to make. I really like that the magazine listed the nutrition info since we're following the Weight Watchers program and that makes it super simple to find out the right points for a recipe. Seeing it would be fairly low points, and a large serving size I was sold! We also needed a meatless meal for Ash Wednesday and this fit perfectly. We decided to make the quesadillas to turn it into a mexican inspired version of tomato soup and grilled cheese. It was very good, and the leftovers made a great lunch.
Tortilla Soup with Black Beans
From Everyday Food, January 2009
Serves 4 (2 1/2 cups per serving)
WW Points per serving: 5
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon chili powder
2 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes in juice
2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (14 1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn kernels
Coarse salt and ground pepper
1 cup crushed tortilla chips, plus more for serving (optional)
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice, plus lime wedges for serving
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium. Cook garlic and chili powder until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes (with juice), beans, broth, corn, and 1 cup water; season with salt and pepper.
- Bring soup to a boil; reduce to a simmer. Add tortilla chips; cook until softened, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in lime juice, and season with salt and pepper. Serve soup with lime wedges and, if desired, more chips.
WW Points per serving: 5
4 whole wheat tortillas
1 red pepper, sliced
1 onion, sliced
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 cup 2% mexican shredded cheese
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add oil to pan, then peppers and onions. Saute until tender crisp, about 5 minutes. When done transfer vegetables to a bowl.
- In same skillet, spray with PAM cooking spray and turn heat to medium-low. Then begin layering quesadillas -- whole wheat tortilla, half of pepper and onion mixture, 1/4 cup of cheese, then a second tortilla. Heat until bottom tortilla gets browned, then spray the top of the second tortilla with PAM spray. Next, carefully use either a large spatula or a large plate to help flip tortilla. Cook until browned on other side.
- Cut into quarters and serve.