Apple Crumb Pie
from the Apple Cookbook
pastry for a single 10 inch pie crust
5 large apples (Northern Spy, Fuji are suggested in the book, I used Paula Red.)
1 1/2 cups sour cream
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup flour
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 cup chopped pecans (I omitted these.)
- Preheat oven to 450. Grease a ten inch pie plate.
- Roll out the pastry and fit it in the pie plate. Flute the edges and refrigerate.
- Peel, core and cut the apples into 1/4 inch slices. Arrange in chilled pie shell.
- In a small bowl, combine the sour cream, sugar, 1/4 cup of the flour, egg and vanilla. Beat until smooth and pour over the apple slices.
- Bake for 10 minutes, reduce the oven to 350 and bake for 30 minutes longer.
- Mix the remaining 1/2 cup flour, brown sugar and butter until the mixture is crumbly. Stir in the pecans and sprinkle over the baked pie.
- Return the pie to the oven and bake 15 minutes longer or until the stopping is golden brown.