foodie 1


Monday, August 22, 2011

Summer Succotash: Secret Recipe Club

For this month's Secret Recipe Club I was assigned Sweet Flours written by Allison.  Allison is a young mom with a sweet tooth!  Her lovely blog (such a great, simple, elegant design -- you should really check it out!) is filled with tempting sweets and treats.  So many that it was impossible to decide on just one, so I went the other direction and chose one of her savory dishes.  When I picked this recipe Zach was shocked.  I don't do lima beans, one of the typical main ingredients in succotash.  Limas and succotash were always one of my sister's favorite sides growing up (as were peas -- ick!) so I only ever thought of it as lima beans and corn.  I love that Allison's recipe got me to open up my mind about succotash!  


It was such a great recipe for summer -- it highlights the veggies at their best, barely cooked and so fresh.  We used corn that Zach bought that day at a farmer's market and the farmer said it was picked that morning.  Unless you're lucky enough to grow corn in your backyard it can't get much fresher than that!  It was delicious and quick.  The leftovers made a satisfying lunch.  I'm already envisioning a mexican version -- swapping in black beans and spices like cumin, paprika and fresh cilantro.  I did make a few changes -- I switched out cannellini beans for the butter beans, throw in some peppers, use an extra ear of corn, used all yellow summer squash and to double up on the seasoning since I had added in the extra veggies.






Summer Succotash
slightly adapted from Sweet Flours

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 large onion, chopped
5 ears sweet corn, cut off the cob
2 large yellow summer squash

1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

1 can (15 oz.) canellini beans, drained
1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
1/4 cup chopped basil

Directions:

  • Heat the butter and olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. 
  • Add the onion, corn, squash, salt and pepper to the pan.  Saute until tender, 5-7 minutes.  
  • Add the beans and cook until heated through, 2-3 minutes more.
  • Remove pan from heat and stir in the tomatoes and basil.
  • Serve and enjoy!

Check out these links to see what other fantastic recipes were posted today in the Secret Recipe Club!





13 comments:

Lisa~~ said...

Sounds and looks tasty and delicious. If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my Group 'A" ~ SRC recipe this month: Cilantro Lime Chicken

Lisa~~
Cook Lisa Cook

Unknown said...

That does look like an excellent summer lunch!

Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray said...

Looks great! Glad to find you through the SRC!

Allison said...

Love what you did with the succotash. This has been a summer staple in our house. So happy to have found your blog. I am looking forward to following you.

amanda @ fake ginger said...

This looks so fresh and delicious - like summer in a bowl!

Tina @ MOMS CRAZY COOKING said...

Way to step out of your box.... good choice.

Thanks again for being a part of SRC and being a part of my first group, I enjoyed being your host! Now, I get to visit everyone’s blog, THIS IS THE FUN PART!

If you haven’t already, come check out my Secret Recipe Club Post: Cucumber Salad http://momscrazycooking.blogspot.com/2011/08/cucumber-salad-secret-recipe-club.html

or my second post for the SRC Raspberry and Nutella Pizza
http://momscrazycooking.blogspot.com/2011/08/raspberry-nutella-pizza-secret-recipe.html

Sanjeeta kk said...

Lovely recipe, Amy..and I loved browsing recipes from your blog. Enjoyed baking your no knead bread. Though mine did not look as good as yours..but love the recipe.

Vivian Thiele said...

I've never had succotash before. It does look like summer in a bowl!

Chelle B said...

This sounds and looks so delicious. Perfect option for lunch. Great SRC pick.

Erin said...

This looks delicious!

Julie said...

Hi! This looks beautiful and delicious! SRC is so fun!

Amy Anderson said...

I love succotash...though it's got a TERRIBLE name. LOL

Amy @ A Little Nosh

Anonymous said...

This one is better, much better.