foodie 1


Monday, September 12, 2011

Zuchinni Parmesan Loaf

I know this recipe might be a bit late for prime zucchini season, but I'm hoping people will give it a try with the end of the season zucchinis rolling in.  I had saved this recipe from a magazine years ago.  I remembered it while trying to think of something different to do with our growing pile of green squashes.  I opted for this since it is a savory bread and not the usual cinnamon spiced zucchini bread -- not that I dislike those breads, cinnamon is one of my favorite flavors, but week after week of typical zucchini bread can wear on even the biggest cinnamon lover.  It has the nutty, salty parmesan flavor and would be a great side to many dinner dishes and even a savory breakfast addition, say, toasted and slathered with butter along side scrambled eggs with cheese.



Zucchini Parmesan Loaf
Serves 8

Ingredients:
2 cups flour
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/3 cup olive oil
1/3 cup milk
2 eggs
1/2 pound (about 1 medium) zucchini, coarsely grated

Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 375 and spray a loaf pan (9x5) with non-stick spray.
  • In a large bowl combine flour, cheese, baking powder, salt and pepper.  Stir to combine.  
  • In a medium bowl combine olive oil, milk and eggs.  Beat with a whisk.  
  • Add grated zucchini to flour mixture, stir to combine.  Then add liquid ingredients to the flour/zucchini mixture.  Stir until just moistened.
  • Pour batter into the loaf pan and bake 60-70 minutes.  It's ready when a toothpick comes out clean.  
  • Cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely. 

2 comments:

Allison said...

I have been googling zucchini recipes like crazy. I have made sweet baked goods but, nothing savory. I can't wait to try out this combination.

Island Vittles said...

This looks and sounds delicious, and I don't even like zucchini! theresa