It was delicious -- I made a few changes but nothing drastic. The tender gnocchi paired well with the sweetness of the carrot. We did just throw the frozen gnocchi into the soup to cook, so we had to add quite a bit more liquid, I used chicken stock. We used a leftover grilled chicken breast for the shredded chicken and it added a nice, smoky flavor. We thought it was tasty and will definitely make it again when it really does get 'cooler' this fall.
Chicken Gnocchi Soup
adapted from Jen's Journey
3 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup onion, finely diced
2 minced garlic cloves
4 tablespoons flour
6 cups chicken broth
1 cup carrots, finely shredded
1 large chicken breast, cooked and shredded
1 pound potato gnocchi1 bag fresh baby spinach
2 cups half and half
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
Freshly grated Parmesan cheeses(optional)
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Melt the butter and add in the olive oil. When melted, add the onion and garlic and saute until translucent and softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the flour and stir to make a roux. Cook mixture for 1-2 minutes, until begins to turn a very light brown.
- Whisk in 4 cups of the chicken broth and turn to medium-high. Let the mixture simmer until it begins to thicken.
- Add the shredded carrots, shredded chicken, gnocchi and remaining 2 cups of chicken broth to the pot. Stir well and allow the soup to simmer again. Once returned to a simmer, add in the spinach and stir to wilt.
- Add the half and half, thyme and oregano to the soup and stir well. Bring back to a simmer then serve. Top with grated parmesan if desired.