foodie 1


Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Kielbasa and Corn Chowder

This is a recipe I had cut out of EveryDay with Rachael Ray. We had what I thought was kielbasa in the freezer, leftover half & half and broth, and a rainy day coming up so I figured this would be a good way to use up some ingredients and stay warm. The kielbasa turned out to be a spicy chipotle beef sausage and the broth was beef instead of chicken, but I think it turned out just fine. Also, I left out the dill since neither of us like it. Because of the type of sausage this soup had a nice kick to it, and was delicious. It's a keeper!


Kielbasa and Corn Chowder
slightly adapted from EveryDay with Rachael Ray, February 2007

FOUR SERVINGS
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 30 min

8 ounces kielbasa, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced (I used a chipotle beef sausage.)
2 onions, finely chopped (I used half a large onion and thought it was more than enough.)
1 tablespoon butter
One 14.5-ounce can chicken broth (I used 2 cups beef broth.)
1 large baking potato (about 12 ounces), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (I used about 4 medium sized red potatoes.)
1 cup half-and-half
One 1-pound bag frozen corn, thawed
Salt and pepper
Chopped fresh dill, for garnish (Omitted)

Directions:
  • Heat a deep skillet or a wide 4- to 6-quart pot over medium-high heat. Add the kielbasa and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
  • Add the onions and butter to the pan and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 6 minutes.
  • Add the broth and potato and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover with a lid and simmer until the potato is tender, about 10 minutes.
  • Add the half-and-half and corn and cook, stirring, until heated through.
  • Using a blender or food processor, puree 1 cup chowder until smooth. (I used a stick blender; I just stuck it into the large pot and blended until it looked like a good consistency.)
  • Stir the puree back into the chowder along with the browned kielbasa and season to taste with salt and pepper. Top with the dill.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

My husband and I LOVE this soup!