This is another great recipe from EveryDay with Rachael Ray. Quick, easy, yummy. The only change I made was to used dried sage. I know, I'm bad, I usually try and use fresh herbs whenever possible since I love the extra kick of flavor they bring. But, I had everything else on hand for this dinner and was too lazy to go to the store. I thought it tasted great with the dried herb, but next time though, I will definitely being using the fresh. I used whole wheat pasta as well, and I think that really complimented the nuttiness of the roasted cauliflower.
Pasta with Roasted Cauliflower and Ham
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
1 head cauliflower (about 2½ pounds), cored and cut into 1-inch pieces
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 cup loosely packed sage leaves, coarsely chopped
1 pound penne pasta
4 tablespoons butter
1/3 pound sliced, boiled ham, cut into strips
salt & pepper
- Put a large pot of water on to boil for the pasta.
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Spread the cauliflower on a baking sheet, drizzle with the oil and toss; season with salt and pepper. Bake until browned, about 20 minutes.
- Salt the water and cook the pasta until al dente. Reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking water, drain and return the pasta to the pot.
- Meanwhile, in a small, heavy saucepan, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Cook, without stirring, until the butter is golden brown, about 6 minutes. Stir in the sage and remove from the heat.
- Stir the ham, cauliflower and reserved pasta cooking water into the pot with the pasta. Stir in the sage butter and season with salt and pepper.