foodie 1


Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Cilantro Shrimp Scampi

So.... I wrote this back in May but never got around to uploading the picture and posting it.  I am a bad blogger.  But, now that I am on summer vacation and finally home after three weeks of travelling I hope to get back to a regular posting schedule.  Most importantly, I hope to knock out the vast majority of over 40 draft posts I have sitting half-composed, and make major progress on my 30 in 30 list.  I wrote it up back in November, and actually have made quite a few things, but just haven't gotten them posted yet.  I've got just under 4 months to go and at least 30 posts to get up in that time, so watch out for lots of new recipes!!


This is the second recipe I'm posting from my Cookbook of the Month, the Foster Harris House Cookbook.  When I decided to make this the pick for the month, I did what I usually do for my monthly pick, stick post-it notes on the recipes I'd most like to make/highlight in the month's posts.  Then I hand it over to Zach and ask him to pick what he would like.  My choices are like the first round and his are the second round, since he will usually pick one or two of the 10-12 I've chosen.  As soon as I saw this recipe in the book I knew it would make it past Zach's second round.  He loves anything with cilantro, so you don't have to look much further than the name of the recipe to know he's going to pick it. 

This was super easy and quick to put together on a weeknight.  The notes on the recipe in the book say that while most people serve scampi with pasta, they prefer it with basmati rice to soak up the sauce.  We served it with a parmesan orzo and it paired really well together.



Cilantro Shrimp Scampi
Serves 4

Ingredients:
1/4 cup olive oil
1 pound large peeled, deveined shrimp
4 tablespoons minced garlic
pinch of cayenne pepper
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 tablespoons lime juice
salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons chopped, fresh cilantro
6 tablespoons butter

Directions:
  • Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  Saute shrimp, turning over once, until just cooked through, about 3 minutes.  Transfer to a plate with tongs, leaving the oil in the skillet.
  • Add garlic, cayenne, wine, lime juice, salt and pepper to the remaining oil.  Cook over high heat, stirring occasionally until reduced slightly, about 1 minute. 
  • Add butter to skillet, stir until melted, then add shrimp.  
  • Serve on top of pasta or rice, whichever you desire.

2 comments:

Kelly | Eat Yourself Skinny said...

Oo this dish looks perfect!! I absolutely love anything with cilantro, this sounds delicious! New follower! xoxo

Katie said...

I'm glad to know that many of us sit around with half-finished posts. Your shrimp look delicious!