foodie 1


Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Cornmeal Waffles with Chili

For the my first birthday after we started dating Zach got me a waffle maker as one of my presents.  It sounds very, shall we say, domestic, but I had wanted one, and we were spending our weekends together long enough at that point that our breakfasts needed some new variations.  Upon opening it I discovered a few recipes in the manual, one of which was this one, Cornmeal Waffles.  As soon as I saw it I wanted to make them and top them with Zach's award winning chili -- yes he's actually won an award for it, at a work chili cookoff contest, but that's still an award!   It's a delicious twist on cornbread with chili and helps to counteract the spiciness that Zach's chili often has.  You can top with sour cream, shredded cheese, and sliced green onions!






Cornmeal Waffles
source: my Cuisinart Waffle Maker Instruction Booklet
Makes (8) 6 1/2 inch round waffles

Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups flour
3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cups milk
6 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 large eggs

Directions:
  • Place ingredients in large mixing bowl and combine until well blended and smooth.  Let batter sit 5 minutes before using.  
  • Preheat waffle maker.
  • Pour 1/2 cup batter onto the center of the lower grid, close cover.  
  • Remove waffles when done, and for best results serve immediately.  You can keep them warm in a 200 degree oven until ready to serve.  
Nutritional Information:
264 Calories
13 g Fat
6g Protein
32 g Carbs
1g Fiber

No comments: