foodie 1


Monday, February 22, 2010

Chipotle Potato Skins


This was a recipe that took some searching to find.  As the Super Bowl approached I knew I wanted to make some yummy appetizers for us to snack on.  But, since we recently started Weight Watchers, I knew they had to be recipes that would be fairly low in points and still make us feel like we were indulging.  This fit perfectly.  I thought I had a recipe in my files for baked potato skins from Weight Watchers, but after looking through my shoebox of recipes I couldn't find it.  So, off to the Weight Watchers website I went.  Their search function is not really user-friendly, but I found this recipe eventually.  It had a great spiciness and I did use regular bacon instead of canadian bacon.  Mostly since I already had some in the freezer, and partly because, well, it's just better!  It was the Super Bowl after all, and a planned indulgence, so it was worth it!  


 
Chipotle Potato Skins
Serves 8 (serving size is 2 potato skins)
WW Points per serving: 4

Ingredients

4 large potato(es), baking-variety, cooked, cooled and quartered lengthwise
1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp chili powder, or chipotle chili powder
1/4 tsp hot pepper sauce
6 slice(s) cooked Canadian-style bacon, finely chopped
3/4 cup(s) low-fat shredded cheddar cheese
2 medium tomato(es), diced (We omitted these as the quality of tomatoes when we were grocery shopping left much to be desired.)
3 medium scallion(s), finely chopped
1/2 cup(s) reduced-fat sour cream

Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 425°F. Scoop out flesh of potatoes, leaving a thin layer of potato flesh in potato. (Reserve remaining potato flesh for another use such as mashed potatoes, or use in this soup.)
  • In a small bowl, combine oil, chili powder and hot pepper sauce. Using a pastry brush, brush insides of potato wedges with oil mixture. Place potato wedges in a single layer on a large nonstick baking sheet; sprinkle with bacon and cheese.
  • Bake until cheese melts and potatoes are heated through, about 15 minutes. Sprinkle with tomatoes and scallions; serve with sour cream on the side. Yields 2 potato skins and about 2 tablespoons sour cream per serving.

No comments: