We got this idea from the best grocery store ever - Wegmans! Now, Wegmans are fairly new to people down here in the DC area, but coming from Rochester, the home of Wegmans, I have been a lifelong customer. They truly are the best, I could go on and on. Their store brands are high quality, the bakery, cheese and produce departments simply can't be beat plus they always have lost of yummy samples! Their prices are consistently low and they are a family run business that really does care about their customers. Anyway, that's enough Wegmans love for now, but they inspired our pita and naan pizzas. One week one of the samples was pizza made using a new product they were featuring - their naan bread. We had the sample and went on our way. Then, last week we had red curry chicken and bought the naan for that meal. What to do with the leftover piece of naan? Pizza! I don't know how true we stayed to the original recipe, since I tried to look it up on the website and could not find it, but we made our own version. It's less of a recipe and more of a process, since everyone really understands the basics of topping a pizza, but it was so good I had to share!
Pita and Naan Pizzas
Inspired by Wegmans!
For the pita pizza:
whole wheat pita shell
2 tablespoons jarred pizza sauce
various toppings - We used onions, yellow peppers and turkey pepperoni.
1/4 cup 2% shredded cheese
For the naan pizza:
naan flatbread, We used Wegman's brand whole wheat.
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 tablespoon chopped rosemary
freshly ground black pepper
2 cloves garlic
1/4 cup shredded fontina cheese
1 tablespoon parmesan cheese
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place pitas on pizza stone. (Or sheet pan if you don't have a pizza stone.)
- Mix olive oil, minced garlic, rosemary salt and pepper in small bowl, let sit.
- Slice onions and peppers. Quarter the turkey pepperoni.
- Assemble pita pizza with pizza sauce, onions, peppers, pepperoni and then cheese.
- Assemble naan pizza by spreading oil mixture on naan, then topping with onions, fontina and then sprinkling with parmesan.
- bake for 12-15 minutes or until cheese melts and breads are crisp.
WW Points: For the pita pizza we figured 5 points, using one serving size of turkey pepperoni split between 3 pizzas. For the naan pizza the total was 11 points. You would recalculate based on the ingredients you choose.