3 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
3/4 cup dry white wine
coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
4 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons butter
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Saute onion until tnder, about 5 minutes.
- Add rice; cook, stirring until well coated, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add wine; cook, stirring until absorbed, about 1 minute. Season with salt.
- Gently heat broth, keep warm. I borrowed Alton Brown's trick and used our electric kettle to keep the broth warm.
- Add about 1 cup of the warm broth. Cook, stirring frequently, until absorbed. Continue adding broth, 1 cup at a time, stirring until most of the liquid has been absorbed, about 25 minutes total. The rice should be tender, but not mushy.
- Remove pan from heat. Stir in parmesan and butter; season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.