Bacon Jalapeno Corn Chowder
2 bags (16 ounces each) frozen corn
1/2 pound center cut bacon, chopped
1 cup chopped onion
1 jalapeno pepper, diced
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup chicken broth
3-4 cups milk
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the corn according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain and set aside.
- In a heavy stockpot, cook bacon until crisp. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels. Pour off all but two tablespoons of bacon fat.
- Saute onion and jalapeno in stockpot until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour over the mixture in pot and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, corn and 3 cups of milk to mixture. Stir to combine.
- Season with cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper. Continue to cook, stirring frequently until hot and thick.
- Use an immersion/stick blender to create desired consistency. Add more milk, if needed to thin out as desired.