Pepperoni Pizza Dip
adapted from Sausage Pizza Dip from Every Day with Rachael Ray, December 2006
1/2-3/4 pound pepperoni, we use a stick, cut in a small dice
Half of an onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 cup shredded scamorza or mozzarella cheese, we used a 6 cheese Italian blend
2/3 grated Parmesan cheese
2 pinches dried oregano
1 cup tomato sauce, we use a jarred pizza sauce
- In a medium skillet, heat the diced pepperoni over medium-high heat. It will release a fair amount of grease. When it is heated through, drain off all but a few tablespoons of the fat.
- Reduce the heat to medium, push the pepperoni to the sides of the pan, add the onion and garlic to the center and cook until tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Mix together with the pepperoni and remove the pan from the heat.
- Preheat the broiler with the rack set 8 to 10 inches away from the heat.
- Combine the cream cheese with half the shredded mozzarella and half the Parmesan. Stir in the oregano and then fold in the pepperoni mixture.
- Spread the mixture into a casserole. Top with the tomato sauce and the remaining cheeses. Cover with foil and broil for 2 minutes, then uncover and broil until bubbling, about 5 minutes.
The recipe suggests to serve with sliced semolina bread. We serve with pizza crust triangles.
We make or purchase pizza dough, arrange it on a pizza stone, poke holes in it with a fork, brush olive oil on top, season with Italian seasoning and grated Parmesan and then bake as directed.