Bobby Flay's Vegetable Meatloaf with Balsamic Glaze
Food Network Magazine, Feb/Mar 2009
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 small zucchini, finely diced
1 red bell pepper, finely diced
1 yellow bell pepper, finely diced
5 cloves garlic, smashed to a paste with coarse salt
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 1/2 pounds ground turkey
1 cup panko bread crumbs
1/2 cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
3/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Heat the oil in a large saute pan over high heat. add the zucchini, bell peppers, garlic paste and 1/4 teaspoons red pepper flakes. season with salt and pepper and cook until the vegetables are almost soft, about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Whisk the egg and fresh herbs in a large bowl. Add the turkey, panko, grated cheese, 1/2 cup ketchup, 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar and the cooled vegetables; mix until just combined.
- Gently press the mixture into a 9x5 inch loaf pan. Whisk the remaining 1/4 cup ketchup, 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar and 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes in a small bowl. Brush the mixture over the entire loaf.
- Bake for 1 to 1 1/4 hours. Let rest for 10 minutes before slicing.