foodie 1


Monday, March 1, 2010

Lighter Eggplant Parmesan

I found this recipe in an old copy of Everyday Food that I "borrowed" from my parent's house over the holidays.  By "borrowed" I mean that I took it without telling my mom, cut out the recipes I wanted and threw out the rest of the magazine.  :-)  I was looking for a meatless recipe for the first Friday of Lent and this was perfect.  I thought it turned out fantastic.  I can't say too much about the actual execution of the recipe, since Zach made dinner that night, but the flavors and taste were great.  I really liked the pink sauce that was used for between the layers of eggplant, it was not acidic like a straight marinara sauce might be, and I really enjoyed it.  This definitely makes our "keeper" recipe list.  We had it with a slice or two of Italian bread.  Yum!



Lighter Eggplant Parmesan

from Everyday Food, December 2008
Serves 4
WW Points per serving:4


Ingredients:
1 large eggplant (2 pounds), sliced 1/2 inch thick crosswise
1 tablespoon olive oil
Coarse salt and ground pepper
1 cup fat-free (skim) milk
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup marinara sauce
1/2 cup grated part-skim mozzarella
1/3 cup grated Parmesan
 

Directions
  • Preheat oven to 450 degrees, with racks in upper and lower thirds. Arrange eggplant on two rimmed baking sheets. Brush eggplant on both sides with oil, and season with salt and pepper. Bake until golden brown and very tender, 20 to 25 minutes, turning slices and rotating sheets halfway through.
  • Meanwhile, make sauce: Off heat, in a medium saucepan, whisk together 1/4 cup milk, flour, and garlic. Gradually whisk in remaining 3/4 cup milk and 1/2 cup marinara sauce. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer, and cook until pink sauce has thickened, 2 to 3 minutes.
  • Spread 1/4 cup marinara sauce in the bottom of a shallow 2-quart baking dish. Alternate layers of baked eggplant with pink sauce. Dollop with remaining 1/4 cup marinara sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan. Bake on upper rack until browned and bubbling, 10 to 15 minutes.

No comments: