foodie 1


Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Salsa Verde

I made this recipe because I was in the mood for salsa verde, and the cilantro was groing wild in our herb garden.  Once I started looking for recipes and I found this one from Rick Bayless on Foodnetwork.com, I knew I could stop looking.  He's famous for his Mexican dishes, so why bother to look anywhere else?  Plus, we have reservations this July at one of his restaurants in Chicago.  We've been fans of his style of cooking since before he won Top Chef Masters and love wathcing his show on PBS.  I don't have one of his cookbooks yet, but it's only a matter of time, I've got several on my Amazon WishList! 


Salsa Verde

Ingredients:
8 ounces (5 to 6 medium) tomatillos, husked and rinsed
1 jalapeno pepper, stemmed and seeded
5 or 6 sprigs fresh cilantro, roughly chopped 
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1/4 cup water
Salt
 
Directions
  • Roughly chop the tomatillos and the chiles. 
  • In a blender or food processor, combine the tomatillos, chiles, cilantro and water. Process to a coarse puree, then scrape into a serving dish. 
  • Rinse the onion under cold water, then shake to remove excess moisture. Stir into the salsa and season with salt, usually a generous 1/4 teaspoon.

No comments: