foodie 1


Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Shrimp and Grits

I'm weird.  It took me a ridiculous amount of time to give seafood (other than canned tuna fish and fish sticks) a 'real' chance.  I think it was our Table 21 adventure at VOLT that really changed my mind.  At his restaurant Bryan Voltaggio serves up 21 courses of amazing food, each one about 3-4 bites.  I went into our dinner there in August of 2008 determined to try everything, and finish everything, even if I didn't love it.  It's only 3 bites, how bad can it be?  I had skate, sea bass, blue crab, foie gras, raw tuna and even lamb that night.  And, while I am still not a fan of lamb, I have changed my mind about seafood.  I now love scallops, most white fishes, tuna tartare and shrimp.  


This is one of my favorite ways to enjoy shrimp lately -- I mean, what dish isn't improved by adding bacon and cheese to the sauce??  The flavors combine to make a great dish with just enough heat.  It's comforting and cheesey and bacony and delicious.  It's easy to make on a weeknight and is quite satisfying.  If you aren't completely sold on shrimp, or seafood, I do encourage you to give this dish a try -- maybe it will help change your mind.




Shrimp and Grits
slightly adapted from CookingLight.com
Serves 4


Ingredients:
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
1 1/2 pounds peeled and deveined large shrimp
2 bacon slices, chopped
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
2/3 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup chopped green onions, divided
5 cups water
1 1/2 cups quick-cooking grits
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese



Directions:
  • Combine lemon juice, hot sauce and shrimp; set aside.
  • Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp. 
  • Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic to drippings in pan; cook 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. 
  • Stir in shrimp mixture, broth, and 1/4 cup green onions; cook 5 minutes or until shrimp are done, stirring frequently.
  • Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan; gradually add grits, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low; simmer, covered, for 5 minutes or until thick, stirring occasionally.
  • Stir in butter and salt. Serve shrimp mixture over grits; sprinkle with cheese and remaining green onions.

No comments: