foodie 1


Monday, September 10, 2012

Easy Egg Cups: Secret Recipe Club

Hi all!  So in my last Secret Recipe Club post I mentioned moving and buying a house which is the reason I haven't posted since the last SRC!  We're all moved in and spent an afternoon signing my name more times that I have total in my life up to that point, so we are officially homeowners!  Yay!  Here's where we now call home:



But, on to my recipe.  This month I was assigned Gluten Free from A to Z by Judee.  My family doesn't eat gluten-free, so a lot of the substitutions and different ingredients were really interesting for me to read.  I chose a recipe that would be super helpful now that I am back to school.  I'm a teacher here in Northern Virginia, I don't know if I've ever mentioned that specifically on the blog, so well, now I have!  Now that I'm back to setting an alarm (ugh) and getting myself together and out the door quickly (double ugh) it's very convenient to have quick and easy breakfasts.  I made these egg cups on a Sunday evening and then was able to enjoy them throughout the week.  They are infinitely customizable and very little effort.  We did sauteed spinach, red onion, colby jack cheese and hatch chiles and they are delicious!



Easy Egg Cups
from Gluten Free from A to Z
makes 12 cups

Ingredients:
6 ounces spinach
6 eggs
1 cup milk
salt
pepper
1/4 cup red onion, diced
1/4 cup hatch chiles, diced
1/2 cup shredded colby jack cheese

Directions:

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat.  Spray with cooking spray and add in the spinach.  Stir and allow to wilt down.
  • While the spinach is wilting, in a medium bowl whisk together eggs and milk.  Season with salt and pepper.
  • Start building your egg cups -- Spray a 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray.  Put about a teaspoon of red onion in each muffin tin, then follow with a teaspoon of chiles.  Sprinkle two teaspoons of cheese on top of the onion and peppers.  
  • Once the spinach has wilted distribute it evenly into the 12 muffin tins.  Pour the egg mixture into each tin, distributing evenly.  I transferred the egg mixture to a 2 cup pyrex measuring cup (the kind with a spout) to make this step easier.  
  • Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the center is set.  

8 comments:

shelley c. said...

Congrats on the new home! And hooray for a quick, easy breakfast - what a great choice!

Judee @ Gluten Free A-Z said...

Glad you liked these little breakfast quiches. You can freeze then too..
and heat them up in the microwave.

Corina said...

These would be great as part of a buffet meal too.

Unknown said...

Congrats on the new house! I love these egg cups and this recipe is a nice variation on the ones I usually make. Pinning for later!

Sidsel Munkholm - Author said...

Those look yummy, even if you're not gluten free. Still, quick and easy.

Miz Helen said...

I just pinned your awesome recipe! Thanks for sharing and have a great day.
Miz Helen

Lea Ann (Cooking On The Ranch) said...

Congratulation on the new home! These little egg cups look so easy and so good.

Lea Ann (Cooking On The Ranch) said...

Congratulation on the new home! These little egg cups look so easy and so good.